Embed from Getty Images

The 2019 US Census Bureau reported that there were 980,000 same-sex married and unmarried households in the United States last year.

According to the Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, released on Thursday, married couples made up 58% of the 980,000 same-sex couple households, and unmarried-partner households made up the remaining 42%.

The District of Columbia had the highest percentage of same-sex couple households at 2.4%, Delaware was second with 1.3%, and Oregon at Massachusetts was third with 1.2%.

The survey found that female same-sex households outnumbered male same-sex households.

The rate of employment of same-sex married couples aged 16 – 64 was higher (84.6%) than opposite-sex married individuals (80.4%).

Women with same-sex partners were more likely to be employed than women married to the opposite sex. Married men in same-sex households were less likely to be working than men married to the opposite sex.

In 2014, the year before the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide, the number of married same-sex households was 334,829 which increased to 568,110 in 2019 according to the 2019 US Census.

This is very interesting information, and I’m sure there will be a significant increase in same-sex households in the 2020 US Census.

Source: Reuters