[This post has been updated with additional information]

Rayshard Brooks was fatally shot by Atlanta police on Friday night (June 12). 

Below you will find 17 things we know so far. 

  • Rayshard Brooks fell asleep in his car in a Wendy’s drive-thru causing other patrons to have to drive around him.
  • Police were called to the restaurant around 10:33pm.
  • Rayshard was given a field sobriety test and failed.
  • Rayshard Brooks allegedly resisted arrested and a struggle between him and two Atlanta police ensued. 
  • During the struggle, Rayshard allegedly gained control of one of the police tasers and began to run away. 
  • One officer gave chase and fired his stun gun at Brooks three times. 
  • As Rayshard was running away, he allegedly pointed the stun gun at an officer, who then reached down for his service weapon and discharged it.
  • Rayshard was shot multiple times. He was taken to the hospital where he died.
  • Rayshard Brooks was 27-years-old.
  • Rayshard was a father of four: Three daughters ages, 8, 2, and one-year-old as well as a 13-year-old stepson.
  • Hours before his death, Rayshard was celebrating his daughter’s 8th birthday.
  • Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms criticized the officer who shot Rayshard Brooks saying, “I do not believe this was a justified use of deadly force.”            

  • Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields stepped down from her job on Saturday (June 13) “out of a deep and abiding love for this City and this department.”
  • Shields released the following statement: “APD has my full support, and Mayor Bottoms has my support on the future direction of this department. I have faith in the Mayor, and it is time for the city to move forward and build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve.”

  • Rodney Bryant, the current head of the city’s corrections department, will serve as the city’s interim police chief.
  • The Georgia Bureau of Investigations (GBI) is investigating the incident at the request of the Atlanta Police Department. 
  • The GBI releases surveillance video of the shooting.

  • District Attorney Paul Howard released a statement saying: “My office has already launched an intense, independent investigation of the incident. Members of the Fulton County District Attorney’s Office were on scene shortly after the shooting, and we have been in investigative sessions ever since to identify all of the facts and circumstances surrounding this incident.”
  • Rayshard Brooks’ cousin, Decatur Redd, spoke out saying: “I thought Atlanta was higher than that. I thought Atlanta was bigger than that. We’ve been watching this happen for so many years, with young black boys around the country just dying in vain. I just don’t want that to continue and keep happening like that.”
  • Garrett Rolfe, the officer who fired his weapon has been fired. The other officer Devin Bronsan, has been placed on administrative duty.
  • Attorneys L. Chris Stewart and Justin Miller have been hired to represent the family.

This story is developing.

I will provide more updates as they become available.

My prayers and condolences to the loved ones of Rayshard Brooks.

Please share your thoughts on this post!