For those that are new to cannabidiol (CBD), there can be a lot of confusion over the differences between full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD formulations. Even those who regularly use CBD can be confused over what separates them from each other and which style of CBD product is right for them. So, what are the differences between full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD formulas?
The main differentiator between full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD products is the amount of the cannabis plant that is present in their formulation. In general, full-spectrum products will have a fuller slate of cannabidiols present in their formulation while broad-spectrum products will be stripped of many cannabis compounds such as THC.
Of course, there is much more to consider than just the simple differences pointed out above. Be sure to read on below, as we will look into all the vital details for each formulation along with a couple of standout products for each category.
What is the Difference Between Full-Spectrum and Broad-Spectrum CBD?
Let’s take a deeper look at what separates broad-spectrum and full-spectrum CBD products. We know that one key difference between the two types is the way that they interact with associated cannabidiol compounds—with full-spectrum formulas generally having more total compounds present. Why should you care? In short, because of something called the “entourage effect” which is supposed to strengthen the effects of cannabidiol compounds.
The entourage effect is the name given to the positive benefits that can result from the interaction between CBD and other related cannabis compounds as they are absorbed by the body. This is thought to work because of how CBD interacts with receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system. Although the science is still in its infancy, studies in its use to treat issues such as seizures and anxiety are already promising.
Pros and Cons of Full-Spectrum CBD
When deciding whether full-spectrum CBD formulas are right for you, the following pros and cons can be useful to keep in mind.
Benefits of Choosing Full-Spectrum CBD
Below are three of our favorite benefits to choosing full-spectrum CBD products.
- Full Access of Entourage Effect: The primary differentiator that full-spectrum CBD products have over other options is the fact that they give users access to a wider range of cannabis compounds, and thus the entourage effect—as discussed above.
- Possible Additional Nutrients: As there will be more of the hemp plant available in full-spectrum formula CBD goods, there will also be more nutrients from the hemp plant present. This is because most of these associate hemp compounds and nutrients that are normally stripped out during the manufacturing process are allowed to remain.
- Myriad Health Benefits: While the impact that aspects such as the entourage effect have on CBD’s otherwise well-documented health benefits is unclear, it is thought that it has boosting and beneficial relationships.
Considerations for Full-Spectrum CBD
When deciding whether a full-spectrum CBD product is right for you, it’s important to keep the following in mind.
- Contains THC: One of the most obvious differences is the amount of THC that is present in full-spectrum formulas. Full-spectrum CBD products are allowed to contain up to 0.03% THC—the federally allowed limit—while some products may have even higher THC concentration levels where legally allowed.
- Could Test Positive for THC: As can probably be deduced from above, the amount of THC that is present in full-spectrum formulations may be enough to show up in screenings for the drug. For this reason, it is recommended to avoid full-spectrum formulas if this may be a concern to you.
Top Full-Spectrum CBD Product Pick
Below you will find our top pick for those that want a quality full-spectrum CBD product.
Joy Organics – Tropical Sunrise: Organic Full-Spectrum CBD Tincture
Our first recommendation comes from Joy Organics and is a burst of beachy sunshine wrapped in a CBD tincture—one that just happens to also be a full-spectrum formula.
What you’ll love: Transport yourself to a Caribbean paradise with the wonderful coconut and pineapple flavoring that makes taking this tincture a fun and tasty treat.
Something to consider: This tincture is available in a wide range of potencies, with tinctures available with anywhere from 450mg to 2250mg of CBD per bottle.
Benefits and Considerations of Broad-Spectrum CBD
In comparison to full-spectrum formulas, the pros and cons of broad-spectrum use become quite clear. Below we will look at a few of the most important aspects to keep in mind when deciding if broad-spectrum is right for you.
Benefits of Choosing Broad-Spectrum CBD
Below you will find three of our favorite benefits when it comes to choosing broad-spectrum CBD.
- Can Contain CBN: Just because a product isn’t a full-spectrum product doesn’t mean that it won’t have any additional compounds from the hemp plant present. One such associate compound that is often present is CBN.
- Uses Cleanly Derived CBD:CBD is extracted from the hemp plant via a variety of sources, some of which can employ harsh chemical solvents. Broad-spectrum CBD products often use hemp extracts that are derived using less problematic techniques such as CO2 extraction.
- Has Many of the Same Health Benefits: One of the best parts of broad-spectrum CBD is that it allows users to access the same health benefits that are available to other cannabidiol users.
Considerations for Broad-Spectrum CBD
Keep the following considerations in mind when deciding if broad-spectrum CBD might be right for you.
- Typically Designed to be THC-Free: While the lack of THC in a broad-spectrum formula is normally a selling point, some will want (or just not care) if their CBD products have traces of THC in their formulations.
- Be Cautious with Possible Screenings: While generally THC-free, some brands still allow for a trace amount of THC in their formulas. This is something to consider for those that require a purely THC-free product for employment screenings or other purposes.
Top Broad-Spectrum CBD Product Pick
Our top pick for broad-spectrum CBD products is a little different this time. It is another quality CBD offering from Joy Organics, but this time it is in a unique gummy form!
Joy Organics – CBD Gummies
These gummies from Joy Organics are a delectable way to incorporate broad-spectrum into your CBD routine. And the best part? These gummies feature a uniform composition, meaning each piece will contain the same amount of CBD—which makes these gummies a perfect choice for CBD newbies who are worried about getting the right dose.
What you’ll love: These gummies come in two yummy flavors, strawberry lemonade and green apple. Both are tasty enough that it can be tempting to sneak yourself a couple of extras.
Something to consider: While many gummy CBD products contain animal byproducts, these use pectin, which helps make them vegan-friendly—a relative rarity in the CBD gummy space!
We’re Always Here to Help!
There you have it, everything you need to know about broad-spectrum vs full-spectrum CBD products. We hope you agree there isn’t much separating the two for anyone who isn’t bothered by possible traces of THC in their CBD goods, as that is the main differentiator. We looked at both styles of CBD in detail and even recommended a few products we think everyone will enjoy.
Have more questions about the different types of CBD and which might be right for you? Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any concerns, comments, or suggestions you may have. We are always happy to be of assistance. We hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about full and broad-spectrum CBD and, as always, thank you for reading!