The preliminary hearing for Ahmaud Arbery’s killers took place on Thursday to determine if they will stand trial for his murder.
While a judge has ruled Gregory McMichael, his son, Travis McMichael, and William “Roddie” Bryan will stand trial, more disturbing, infuriating, and downright heartbreaking information about Ahmaud’s murder came out during the hearing.
Below you will find 19 points from the preliminary hearing:
- Gregory McMichael, Travis McMichael, and William “Roddie” Bryan were not inside of the courtroom for the hearing.
- The attorney for the McMichaels asked if they could be permitted to be in the courtroom. The judge denied the request. They attended the hearing virtually. William “Roddie” Bryan waived his right to appear in court.
- Gregory McMichael says he had a “gut feeling” Ahmaud was responsible for the previous thefts in their neighborhood. He added his “instinct told him that.”
- Gregory McMichael and Travis McMichael grabbed a .357 Magnum handgun and a shotgun and began to pursue Ahmaud.
- Ahmaud Arbery was leaving the Satilla Shores neighborhood when the McMichaels tried to cut him off prompting him to turn around and run in the opposite direction.
- William Bryan was working on his porch when he saw the pursuit. He yelled to the McMichaels, “You got him?”
- Bryan’s attorney says him joining the pursuit was “what any patriotic American would have done under the same circumstances.”
- William Bryan struck Ahmaud Arbery with the side of his pickup truck in an attempt to stop him. A palm print, cotton fibers, and a dent below the fibers were found on Bryan’s truck.
- Ahmaud turned again and began running in the opposite direction away from Bryan. Bryan turns his truck around and begins to pursue Ahmaud again. This is where the viral clip begins.
- Investigators confirm there is a longer version of the video of the men pursuing Ahmaud.
- Ahmaud Arbery runs away again, but his path is blocked by the McMichael’s truck. He attempts to run around the truck and is met by Travis, who is holding a shotgun.
- The autopsy report shows Ahmaud was shot twice in the chest.
- Bryan told investigators after the shooting Travis McMichael stood over Ahmaud’s body and called him a “f**king n***er.”
- The toolbox inside of the McMichael’s truck had a Confederate flag sticker.
- Travis McMichael has used racial slurs (the N word) via social media and messaging services prior to Ahmaud’s murder.
- William Bryan also displayed a racist attitude in his communications.
- One of the defense attorneys argued racist language is “common” in the south.
- Gregory McMichael, Travis McMichael and William Bryan have not entered their pleas.
- The Justice Department has launched a hate crime investigation in this case.
Watch the news report below: