According to a new report from CNN, Chicago police now believe Jussie Smollett paid two men to orchestrate the assault on him earlier this month.
[Read Also: 2 Men Arrested In Jussie Smollett Case Released ‘Due To New Evidence’]
The brothers, who were arrested Wednesday, were released without charges Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of “new evidence.” The sources told CNN that the two men are now cooperating fully with law enforcement.
The sources told CNN that there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett’s neck at an Ace Hardware store in Chicago.
In light of the alleged new evidence, Jussie secured Michael Cohen’s criminal defense attorney, Michael Monico.
[Read Also: Jussie Smollett Hires Michael Cohen’s Criminal Defense Attorney]
Via CBS Chicago:
Sources say at least one of the brothers bought the rope used in the incident at Smollett’s request. The sources also say the “Empire” actor paid for the rope, which was purchased at the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.
The brothers were paid $3,500 before leaving for Nigeria and were promised an additional $500 upon their return.
They left for Nigeria later in the day on Jan. 29 after the attack.
Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured the bleach while the other wore a plain red hat and yelled slurs at Smollett.
The sources say the red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store and that the attack was supposed to happen before Jan. 29. The brothers told detectives the three men rehearsed the attack days prior to it happening.
Donald Trump Jr. has commented on the revelation in the case…
It appears that Jussie Smollett tried to manufacture a hate crime to make Trump supporters look bad and most of the media not only uncritically accepted his lies as facts for weeks, but attacked those who questioned the validity of his false story.
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) February 17, 2019
A petition to “Lock Jussie Up” has also been launched on Change.org! ?
#LockJussieUp: I am calling for the criminal prosecution of @JussieSmollett, not only for the attack he staged, but for the defamation of millions of supporters of @realDonaldTrump that he facilitated.
Sign here: https://t.co/BqtgBaaRVt
— CJ Pearson (@thecjpearson) February 15, 2019
Jussie Smollett has now disabled all of the comments on his Instagram page.
Dis tew much! I have to let this marinate and simmer….
Connect With Us: YouTube | Instagram | Podcast | Amazon | Newsletter | University