You better always say your grace and inspect your food and drink before consumption!
Sarah Douglas, a 32-week pregnant Canadian woman purchased a latte from McDonald’s but was given a cup full of cleaning solution instead.
Via Global News:
“I had no idea what I was drinking,” Douglas said. “I just knew it wasn’t coffee and it tasted like a chemical.”
Douglas purchased a latte, pulled onto the highway to head to Medicine Hat with her children and she instantly knew something was wrong as soon as she took the first sip.
“I threw my hazard lights on, pulled into the ditch and spit it out. I grabbed some water that was in my car and I swished my mouth out,” she added.
Douglas, who is eight months pregnant with her third child, immediately worried that she’d put her unborn baby at risk.
She returned to McDonald’s to find out what she’d ingested. Once she arrived, she spoke to a supervisor and another employee.
“She actually went around the corner to look at the latte machine as well and noticed that there was two hoses coming out of the machine and going into this chemical,” said Douglas.
A 32 week pregnant woman in Lethbridge, Sarah Douglas, says she was served cleaning fluid when she ordered a latte at McDonald’s in Lethbridge. Owner Dan Brown-Unfortunately the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made. Photo: LNN pic.twitter.com/takA8VCa3K
— Hal Roberts 🇨🇦 (@Hal__Roberts) August 1, 2018
Dan Brown, the franchise owner, issued the following statement:
Since learning about the complaint, our team has been in very close contact with the guest and apologized to her. The health inspector also visited my restaurant and is not investigating further.
McDonald’s is renowned for its food safety protocols and I am sorry that this happened in my restaurant here in Lethbridge.
What happened is that the machine was being cleaned — as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest’s drink was made.
We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder.
Sarah wants heads to roll…as she should!
This needs to be more than a slap on the wrist.
We need to take it more seriously when we are dealing with food handling, I mean, to put a lid on something that doesn’t look like a latte, that should be your first indication.
Thank God she didn’t guzzle the latte! This could have ended terribly.