Innocent Man Killed By Police After Swatting Prank

Horrible news coming out of Kansas…

An innocent man was shot and killed by police in his front door after authorities were sent to his house on a “swatting” prank call.

According to reports, the call was made after to gamers got into a dispute over “Call of Duty.” Unfortunately, the gamer who placed the swatting call claiming there was an active hostage situation gave police the wrong address.

Via USA Today:

A feud between two Call of Duty game players sparked the hoax call. However, the address given to police led them to the doorstep of 28-year-old Andrew Finch, who was not part of the online gaming community, police say.

“Due to the actions of a prankster, we have an innocent victim,” Wichita police Deputy Chief Troy Livingston said during a press conference Friday.

Officers responded to a report of a gunman holding his mother, brother and sister hostage after shooting his father in the head Thursday night, Livingston said.

“That was the information we were working off of,” he told the Wichita Eagle.

Livingston added that authorities “got into position” when they arrived at the home, ready for a hostage situation.

The 28-year-old, identified by his family as Andrew Finch, went to the door to see what was going on, the Eagle reported.

“As he came to the door, one of our officers discharged his weapon,” Livingston said.

Officers had instructed Finch to put his hands up, but he lowered them several times, Livingston said. One officer then took a shot because he “feared for officer’s safety,” Livingston said.

The father of two was taken to a hospital. He later died.

Police said he was unarmed.

Officers soon learned that no one in the house had a gunshot wound and that there wasn’t a hostage situation.

“What gives the cops the right to open fire?” Finch’s mother asked the Wichita Eagle. “Why didn’t they give him the same warning they gave us? That cop murdered my son over a false report.”

The Social Media Taskforce identified the gamer who is allegedly responsible for the swatting call.


The Twitter account has been suspended. No charges have been filed at this time.

The person who placed the swatting call should be charged with murder and punished to the fullest extent of the law!