Godzilla-King-of-the-monsters-Millie-Bobby-Brown


Godzilla: King of Monsters topped the box office with weekend with a $49 million debut taking the no. 1 spot from Disney’s Aladdin, which brought in $42 million in its second week.

Read our review of Godzilla 2, written by our resident movie guru, B. Gunn, below.

Godzilla King Of Monsters trailer

‘Godzilla: King of Monsters’ Review Written By B. Gunn

Look, up in the sky! It’s a dragon…it’s a dinosaur…does anyone know what it really is? It doesn’t matter, Godzilla the monster-killa has returned!

“Godzilla: King of the Monsters” stars Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, and O’Shea Jackson Jr. Five years after its introduction to the world, humans have come to the reality that Godzilla, along with other behemoths have been living amongst them for a loooong time. Godzilla hasn’t popped up in those five years and things have remained calm, but they know it’s out there – somewhere.

The Monarch organization knows this as well and they’ve been trying to keep tabs on other creatures like Godzilla. These creatures could pose a threat to humanity, right? Well, when it comes to monsters on the loose, don’t put your trust in man. Put your trust in God – Zilla.



The number-one complaint many moviegoers, including myself, had about the first Godzilla film was the lack of the star. I mean, how you gon’ make a movie about Godzilla but only have him making cameo appearances until the last 20 minutes of his own show? That ain’t right! The producers listened to us, and in this sequel, there’s an abundance of the green flame-spitter. But oh no, not just Godzilla, the throwback crew from the old-old Zilla flicks joins him. I’m talking Mothra, Rodan, and that notorious three-headed dragon Monster Zero, aka King Ghidorah – uh oh!

Action in “Godzilla” is just as colossal as the giants. I mean, they truly turned the destruction up to level-10. The special effects department must’ve been given 90% of that near 200 million-dollar budget and the green-light to wild the f**k out! CGI is waaaaay better than the first film. It’s a grand spectacle indeed. Now, I said 90% of that budget looked like it went to special effects folks, right? So, where did the other 10% go? Yeah, about that…

Remember in the first “Godzilla” movie where the humans had more screen time than the monsters? Well, that was true, but those characters had interesting arcs and storylines. This one here…not so much. The main characters aren’t memorable – at all. I understand that this movie is about monsters tearing up shyt, but when they aren’t, your human characters must carry the film.

The dialogue is so underwhelming that it takes away from the movie’s overall appeal. There are more supporting characters than there are monsters (trust me, that’s saying a lot) and most of those characters are only in this movie for exposition. They merely serve as props, filling in a storyline that’s mediocre at best.



There’s a scene where Farmiga shares what should be a dramatic in-depth monologue detailing the necessity of the storyline. By the time she’s finished, we’re like, “Godzilla, please save us from this gibberish.” I truly wish more thought was put into the writing and plot. The action shouldn’t be bigger than the storyline, and vice-versa.

Listen, this movie isn’t bad. It just could’ve been better. I think peoples’ opinions on this film will be split. If you want to see Godzilla onscreen constantly ripping things apart and don’t care about well thought-out characters, this is for you.

If you like action, but love emotional dialogue, uh-ruh, hmmm. At any rate, I liked it. I wasn’t in love with it, but it was entertaining.

I’m giving “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” a Morning/Midday Co-sign. There are some references to “Kong: Skull Island” and there’s an after-credit scene. It’s dope in IMAX! Eventually, they’ll get this thing right. On God…Zilla.

Watch The Trailer:

Did you see the film this weekend?

Connect With Us: YouTube | Instagram | Podcast | Amazon | Newsletter | University