Police Kill 23-Year-Old Korryn Gaines & Shoot Her 5-Year-Old Son During Standoff

Baltimore police killed 23-year-old Korryn Gaines and shot her 5-year-old son during an hours-long standoff at her Randallstown apartment on Monday.

Several warrant squad members and a uniformed officer went to the apartment to serve warrants on Gaines and her boyfriend for failing to appear in court on charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and multiple traffic violations.

Police claim they killed Korryn after she pointed a long gun at them and threatened to kill them if they did not leave her home.

Korryn Gaines’ Mother Says Baltimore Police Didn’t Want To Hurt Her But Failed To Exhaust All Means Of Negotiations + Update On Her Son Kodi

Via The Baltimore Sun:

Police Chief Jim Johnson said that about 9:20 a.m., several warrant squad members and a uniformed officer went to the home in the first block of Sulky Court to serve arrest warrants on Gaines and a man who lived in the home.

The man in the apartment allegedly ran from the home with a 1-year-old child but was caught by officers, police said. The man’s name has not been released.

Gaines was wanted for failing to appear in cases related to a March incident in which she was charged with disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and numerous traffic violations, Johnson said.

Police “repeatedly knocked on the apartment door” and heard a man’s and a woman’s voice, as well as a crying child, the police chief said. No one answered the door after police identified themselves.

An officer got a key from the landlord and opened the door to the apartment. Officers could see that Gaines had a long gun, and she pointed it at one of three officers, Johnson said. She was seated on the floor and had the 5-year-old in her arms.

Tactical personnel were called to the home and began an hours-long negotiation with Gaines, the police chief said.

“During that dialogue and conversation, she repeatedly pointed a long gun at the police officers,” he said.

About 3 p.m., Gaines pointed the long gun at officers and told them if they didn’t leave, “she was going to kill them,” Johnson said.

An officer then fired once at Gaines, and she shot back several rounds, Johnson said. Police fired again, killing her. It was unclear where in the apartment the child was during the gunfire.

The names of the officers were not released, per an agreement with the county police union. The names are expected to be released later this week.

Sources close to Korryn Gaines said she was no stranger to police brutality and had often documented her run-ins with law enforcement on social media.

Moments before she was killed, Korryn uploaded video of the S.W.A.T. team in her home as well as her last conversation with her son during the standoff.

My heart shattered when her son said the police “are trying to kill us.”

See video on page 2.