WATCH: R. Kelly Accuser Lanita Carter Speaks Out For The Very First Time (Full Interview)
R. Kelly accuser Lanita Carter breaks her anonymity and her silence about allegedly being sexually abused by R. Kelly. Get the scoop.
R. Kelly accuser Lanita Carter broke her anonymity and her silence about the alleged sexual abuse she suffered at the hands of the embattled R&B superstar.
Lanita is one of the four victims whose claims led to the singer being charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminal sex abuse in Cook County.
15 years ago, while she worked as his hair-braider, R. Kelly allegedly forced Lanita Carter to give him oral sex before he released and spat in her face.
Lanita submitted the shirt she was wearing during the alleged assault into evidence and Cook County Prosecutors told her it was a DNA match to R. Kelly.
During her interview with CBS News Lanita shed tears as she shared:
I was sexually abused by him and I live after that. I try to pick up the pieces every day.
It’s hard but I know I’ll get through it. I’m not ashamed of my past anymore.
This is a release.
I’ve been carrying this since 2003. I have had to sit on a public bus and watch public conversation: ‘Did you hear about what they did with R. Kelly? They need to leave that man alone.’
And I can’t stand up for myself. I finally realized: I don’t wanna be this victim. I don’t wanna be a part of this.
When I finally realized I don’t want to be this victim, I don’t want to be a part of this, every time I tried to pick myself up again, I felt like something on the news brought me back to what I thought I swept under the rug.
Today I say: no more. You can talk about me. You can not like what I’m sayin’ about your favorite singer. But this is my life. This is my truth. This is what I have. If I die tomorrow, I know that I told the truth.
The full interview aired on Thursday, March 28, on “CBS This Morning,” and I need to point out a few things:
- Lanita filed a police report the very same day of the alleged assault and turned over her shirt, which had R. Kelly’s DNA on it.
- Lanita did not hang on to the shirt for over 15 years.
- R. Kelly was not charged for the incident, but he did pay Lanita a $650,000 settlement to keep her quiet.
- R. Kelly later released a song called “Hair Braider,” where he appeared to be inspired by his assault on Lanita.
- R. Kelly paid Lanita Carter an additional $100,000 in damages and promised to never perform the song or release it on his albums.
- Lanita Carter violated the terms of her settlement by speaking out and it’s unclear what her penalty will be for doing so.
Watch the full interview below.